Corporate Voices for Working Families has released two toolkits that serve as guides for implementing flexibility with an hourly and nonexempt workforce.
One toolkit provides tips and tools for managers of hourly workers and is designed to assist them in establishing flexible work arrangements. The other toolkit offers tips and tools for hourly workers and is designed to assist them in initially talking to their manager about a flexible work arrangement and also when they are using a flexible work arrangement.
Highlights from the toolkits for managers and for hourly workers include:
- Tips for managers of hourly workers on how to create a flexible work environment.
- Tips and a discussion guide for managers on how to establish team-based flexibility.
- Tips for hourly workers on how to propose a flexible work arrangement.
- Tips for hourly workers on how to talk to managers about a flexible work arrangement.
- Self-assessment worksheets for managers and hourly workers to be used when considering a particular flexible work option.
The Guide for Implementing Flexibility with an Hourly and Nonexempt Workforce toolkits for managers and for hourly workers, along with their respective worksheets, are available on the Corporate Voices for Working Families website at http://www.cvworkingfamilies.org/publications/workplaceflex.
Developed for Corporate Voices by WFD Consulting and supported by a grant from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, these toolkits are derived from the research highlighted in our study, “Innovative Workplace Flexibility Options for Hourly Workers.”
Publications, research studies, and toolkits on a host of workforce readiness, flexibility, family economic stability, and work and family balance issues are available on the Corporate Voices Web site.